The CAST test is a battery of paper-based aptitude tests designed for the selection of applicants across several construction and skilled trade occupations. 34 investor-owned electric utility companies contributed to the creation of this battery. The CAST test can predict the probability of a candidate's success in the following services provided by construction and skilled trade professionals:
- Transmission and Distribution
- Facilities and Repair
- Other Facilities (e.g., Carpenter)
- Electrical Repair
- Machining and Vehicle Repair
- Meter Service and Repair
CAST Test Battery Format
Duration: While the net time of the test is an hour and 27 minutes, the test is administered for over almost two hours.
Contents: The CAST test battery consists of four sub-tests:
- Graphic Arithmetic (16 questions/30 minutes)This test assesses a candidate's ability to solve arithmetic problems via the use of information from prints or drawings. The test taker is presented with a drawing and several follow-up questions. This test includes a total of two drawings and 16 questions, to which must be completed within 30 minutes.
- Mechanical Concepts (44 questions/20 minutes)This test assesses a candidate's ability to understand mechanical principles. There are 44 multiple choice questions, each relating to an illustration of a mechanical situation. The test must be completed within 20 minutes.
- Reading for Comprehension (32 questions/30 minutes)This test assesses a candidate's ability to read and comprehend written materials. The test taker is presented with four passages and several follow-up, questions. The test includes 32 multiple choice questions and must be completed within 30 minutes.
- Mathematical Usage (18 questions/7 minutes)This test assesses a candidate's ability to work out basic mathematical problems with the information provided at the beginning of the test. The test includes 18 multiple choice questions and must be completed within seven minutes.
CAST Test Scoring
The CAST test can be scored both by machine and by hand. Scores from the four CAST aptitude test are combined into a single index score, ranging from 1 - 10 (10 being the highest). A candidate's index score reflects the expected probability of a successful job performance.
Prepare Online with Us
JobTestPrep's CAST practice pack comprises all sections of the CAST. It includes in-depth answer explanations which act as an adequate CAST study guide. Preparing for the CAST test is essential for achieving high scores, and JobTestPrep offers the perfect practice materials to help you attain success. Start practicing today with JobTestPrep to ensure you land your desired job!
To return to the main EEI page, click here.
Read more about other EEI tests:
Back to top
EEI, their tests (POSS, MASS, CAST, TECH, SOPD, SASS), and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with JobTestPrep or this website.