CPS's firefighter test is formatted as a multiple-choice exam and generally features around 100 questions, unless your local fire department has customized the exam. There are many CPS fireman tests, but we will focus on the CPS entry-level test.
Please note that while we do not provide an exact test simulation, our PrepPack™ is customized in a way that provides excellent comprehensive practice for every type of question that may appear on the actual test. Using our practice resources and study guides will significantly improve your chances of acing the test and securing your place at the top of the eligibility list.
CPS Firefighter Entry-Level Test Format
The entry-level CPS firefighter test is generally divided into five sections, although there are seven possible areas the CPS assesses applicants in. JobTestPrep provides practice materials for all seven of them to ensure you are as prepared as possible for anything that may come your way.
- Understanding Oral Information – Firefighters need a commanding understanding of oral information so that when they are at the scene of a fire oral commands are clearly understood, even if they are not explicitly written out or explained.
- Reading and Understanding Written Information – During an emergency, there is usually an LED sign with a scroll explaining the situation. It is important that your reading comprehension skills are up to par. It is also important to be able to study and learn the correct information about all the equipment used by firefighters.
- Understanding Written Instructions – If a firefighter cannot understand the rules of how to fight a fire correctly, then they become a danger not only to themseleves but also to the rest of the crew and to civilians.
- Mathematical Ability – Firefighters uses a lot of math—they must able to understand what hose length reaches the scene, which ladder is the correct height, and how much water is still in the tank. There are numerous other examples as well.
- Numerical Skills – This section is more or less like the mathematical ability section. However, it is more specific in that it refers to calculation of water flow and is slightly more math intensive.
- Maps, Diagrams – A firefighter must be able to get to the scene as quickly as possible, and this will only happen if you understand how to read a map. You must also understand how to read floor plans to be able to find the source of the fire in buildings and structures.
- Mechanical Aptitude – The mechanical aptitude test revolves around the levers, pulleys, etc. that you will encounter during your job. It is important for you to have a basic understanding of how general mechanics work to ensure the most effective techniques are used.
- Teamwork/Public Relations/Community Living – This section is much like a personality test, with a few situational judgment questions as well. Firefighters work in teams, so it is imperative that you be able to work as part of a team and that you can live in a firehouse without causing problems. Firefighters also tend to speak a lot with civilians and victims, so it is important for you to possess good people skills.
Prepare for the Firefighter Test
Hundreds of candidates typically apply for each open firefighter position. Firehouses rank the test and pick the highest scoring candidates. JobTestPrep offers a CPS-styled firefighter test preparation package, which includes both practice tests and a comprehensive study guide. These resources will prepare you for the exam and help ensure that your name is at top of the candidate list. Our package is especially geared for the CPS Chicago Fire Dept. exam.
CPS HR is one of the largest assessment test companies in the United States that works with public safety. It provides assessment tests for fire departments in some of the top cities nationwide, including Chicago, Orange County, Sacramento, Akron, and many, many more.
- 12 understanding oral information tests
- 8 basic math drills
- 9 math word problems tests
- 9 numerical reasoning tests
- 21 mechanical aptitude tests
- 3 tools tests
- 13 reading comprehension tests
- 7 SJT's
- 12 study guides and video tutorials
- Money back guarantee – see terms and conditions
CPS, CPS HR, and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with JobTestPrep or this website.