Air Force Officer Qualifying Test Preparation
If you are interested in becoming an Air Force Officer, then you will need to prepare for the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test. The AFOQT aims to place those who succeed into the AF training program. JobTestPrep is working on developing an affordable and complete AFOQT test preparation program designed for a successful exam experience.
Air Force Officer Qualifying TestThe AFOQT test assesses skills and personality traits that have proven to be predictive of success in officer commissioning programs such as the training program. It is not surprising, that the AFOQT carries much weight in the selection of candidates.
Exam results are housed in five composite scores, each comprised of several subtests:
- Pilot – The aptitudes needed for pilot training include Arithmetic Reasoning, Math Knowledge, Instrument Comprehension, Table Reading and Aviation Information.
- Navigator-Technical – The six subtests included within the N-T results are: Verbal Analogies, Arithmetic Reasoning, Math Knowledge, Block Counting, Table Reading and General Science.
- Academic Aptitude – Expect the scores from four of the12 subtests to make up the final results of the Academic Aptitude composite score. The applicable subtests include: Verbal Analogies, Arithmetic Reasoning, Word Knowledge and Math Knowledge.
- Verbal – There are only two subtests that determine the Verbal score: Verbal Analogies and Word Knowledge.
- Quantitative – The obvious skillsets used to determine your Quantitative results include: Arithmetic Reasoning and Math Knowledge.
There are 12 subtests. 11 are cognitive aptitudes that are presented in a multiple-choice format. The 12th subtest is a Self-Description Inventory, this personality subtest is formatted in a five-point agreement scale, from “Strongly Disagree” to “Strongly Agree.”
Total timeframe of the test itself: 2 hours, 39 minutes.
Total timeframe including instructions and breaks: 3 hours, 33 minutes.
Your AFOQT score is based solely on the number of correct answers. Since there is no penalty for wrong responses, you will benefit by answering every question; guess if necessary. On the personality subtest, it is essential that you record a response to all items. Be sure to read each passage, question and alternative answer carefully.
|Subtest ||Number of Questions ||Time Limit (Minutes) |
|Verbal Analogies ||25 ||8 |
|Arithmetic Reasoning ||25 ||29 |
|Word Knowledge ||25 ||5 |
|Math Knowledge ||25 ||22 |
|Instrument Comprehension ||20 ||6 |
|Block Counting ||20 ||3 |
|Arithmetic Reasoning ||25 ||29 |
|Aviation Information ||20 ||8 |
|General Science ||20 ||10 |
|Rotated Blocks ||15 ||13 |
|Hidden Figures ||15 ||8 |
|Self-Description Inventory ||220 ||40 |
- Verbal Analogies – This part of the exam highlights synonyms. Question sample: picture is to frame as flower is to: A) wall; B) vase; C) plate; D) petal; E) bread
- Arithmetic Reasoning – This subtest involves functions such as solving math word problems, number sequencing, volume, area, perimeter, circumference, decimals, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, percentages, ratios, measure conversion and algebraic equations.
- Word Knowledge – Expect to be tested on the meaning of specific words. A word is presented in capital letters. Select the alternative that is closest in meaning to the capitalized word.
- Math Knowledge – The focus of the Math Knowledge subtest is your aptitude for mathematical symbols, terms and principles. Geometric shapes, square roots, equations, fractions, decimals and ratios are some of the math elements that you will find in this subtest.
- Instrument Comprehension - This subtest has you determine the position of an airplane in flight by reading instruments.
- Block Counting – You will be shown a 3-dimensional pile, the task is to determine how many other blocks a specifically-numbered block touches.
- Table Reading – You will be required to find the intersection of coordinates x and y on a chart.
- Aviation Information – There are two formats in this subtest: A) Select the alternative that correctly completes a given statement; and B) Select the best answer to a given question.
- General Science – This subtest assesses your knowledge of science utilizing the two formats found in the Aviation Information subtest.
- Rotated Blocks – You will need to select the rotated block that is the same as the original block.
- Hidden Figures – Your ability to perceive a specific shape within a complex pattern is assessed through this part of the AFOQT.
- Self-Description Inventory – Select the degree to which a statement describes you. You can prepare for this portion of the exam by practicing on sample questions until you are comfortable with the types of questions that you will face on the actual test.
Prepare for the AFOQTAFOQT prep tools include Air Force Officer Qualifying Test practice tests with Q & A analysis, study guide and helpful exam strategies. JobTestPrep is now developing a thorough AFOQT system geared to optimizing exam results.
Back to top
Sample ASTB Questions
"I have improved my scores greatly. Your study guides are very helpful and before each test you take I would recommend everyone to go over the guides first. I take this approach for every test and my scores increase everyday."
"Packed with very good info to prepare for the test."