The Chicago Police recruitment process is very competitive. You will need to be as prepared as possible for the exam. A higher score on the test will raise your chances of passing. The exam is known as the Chicago Police Officer Exam (CPOE), which is provided by IO Solutions. It is a 2.5 hour exam, containing 80 multiple choice questions. The exam tests your cognitive skills in 10 different sections.
Chicago Police Exam Test Sections
There are 10 different cognitive abilities test on the CPOE. Becoming familiar with these sections will help you prepare for the exam.
- Deductive Reasoning: You will be tested on your ability to apply rules and principles to make decisions on specific situation. You will apply this when dealing with criminal and traffic laws.
- Flexibility of Closure: This is the ability to identify or detect a known pattern (a figure, object, word, or sound) that is hidden in other distracting material. This is applied on the job when looking at pictures and descriptions of suspects.
- Inductive Reasoning: This section tests your ability to combine specific pieces of information to arrive at a conclusion. This will apply to the job when you will have multiple pieces of information about a crime scene or incident and then have to make a decision about how to react to the scenario based on that information.
- Information Gathering: This section tests your ability to follow correctly a rule or set of rules to arrange things or actions in a certain order. The rule or set of rules used must be given. The things or actions to be put in order can include numbers, letters, words, pictures, procedures, sentences, and mathematical or logical operations.
- Problem Sensitivity: In this section of the CPOE, you will be asked to read a short passage. You will need to determine what is most likely to be the main problem in the situation that is presented in the passage.
- Selective Attention: This tests your ability to complete a task in the presence of distractions or monotony. This ability allows one to concentrate even when there is a good deal of distraction in the environment. This ability also is involved in paying attention to important details during repetitive and monotonous tasks. You will be asked to look at a series of letters, numbers and/or symbols and pick the same pattern.
- Spatial Orientation: This is the ability to understand how to navigate within spaces or how to get from one point to another. You will do this when you need to travel from point “a” to point “b” to respond to a call or in navigating or searching a building.
- Verbal Comprehension: This section will test your ability to read and comprehend written words and sentences.
- Verbal Expression: In this section of the test you will be asked to choose the correct spelling of a word, detect misspelled words in a sentence, select the proper punctuation in a sentence and choose the correct phrase to complete a sentence.
- Visualization: This section of the test, measures your ability to imagine how something will look when it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged. It requires the forming of mental images of how patterns, objects or people would look after certain changes, such as unfolding, rotation or physical alterations. You will have to predict how an object, set of objects, pattern or person will appear after the changes are made. On the test you will be asked to recognize a face that has gone through some changes, such as different hair color, facial hair or expression.
CPOE Prep with JobTestPrep
Now that you know about the Chicago police test, start preparing. JobTestPrep can help you achieve your goal by familiarizing you with the Chicago police officer exam through our Custom Made Chicago Practice Tests which includes over 1,500 questions, answers and explanations to help you ace the exam.
- 2 Full-length practice tests, 80 questions each
- Over 700 extra practice questions
- ALL types of questions seen on the real test
- Spatial Orientation tests
- Visualization drills
- Reasoning Skills practice
- Deductive Reasoning practice
- 10 Written Communications drills
- 15 Reading Comprehension drills
- Original study guides
- Comprehensive explanations and solving tips for all questions
- Immediate online access, Practice 24/7
- Secured payment
- Money-back guarantee - see terms and conditions
IO solutions and other trademarks are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders is affiliated with JobTestPrep or this website.