New York State Department Personnel Commission administers the exam for Public Safety Officer position. You must pass the written test to be considered for appointment, placed on the eligible list and then you might fill an appropriate vacancy for the position. The examination will cover the following subjects:
- Applying Written Information in a Safety and Security Setting: In this section, you will be presented with a set of information about rules, regulations, directives, written narratives and other related material, and to read and interpret them. The exam will measure your capability to apply it to public safety and security setting situations typically experienced by public security officers.
- Following Directions and Maps: Questions in this section evaluate your understanding of a simple map. You need to be able to follow physical or geographic directions shown on street or building maps.
- Understanding and Interpreting Written Material: The questions test your comprehension of written material. The written material will be presented as brief reading selections. You will be provided with brief reading selections and will be asked questions about the selections. The information required to answer the questions will be available within the section.
Public Safety & Security Officer Descriptions
The duties of public safety and security officer involve a responsibility for checking the security of buildings and grounds and a routine patrol work. Encountered problems must be reported to the appropriate police officials. On the job, you will not be responsible to perform any police official’s duties such as apprehension or investigation.
Need to Study for More Than One Exam?
JobTestPrep offers a civil service premium membership which gives you access to all our available civil service preparation packs. The Premium Membership gives you our preparation packs in an organized manner, separating the questions by exam allowing you to study only the material you need instead of learning information that will be of no use to you.
Prepare with JobTestPrep
Prepare for the public safety and security officer civil service exam and get the job title you want. Here at JobTestPrep we provide you with a complete and comprehensive civil service public safety test practice pack to prepare you for the exam, with custom-made practice tests, study guides, sample questions and more. We will assist you to achieve the score you need to land the job you want.
Watch to Learn More about Civil Service Preparation Packs
Law Enforcement Exams
NY State Civil Service Exams
Federal Civil Service Exam
Civil Service Exams by Profession
- 45 Practice tests, 800+ Q&A, including:
- 11 "Thinking Skills" tests including: Information Ordering, Inductive Reasoning, Deductive Reasoning, Problem Sensitivity, and Written Expression
- 2 Following Directions and Maps tests
- 21 Understanding Written Materials tests
- 11 Written Comprehension tests
- Fully detailed explanations teaching the simplest & quickest methods + study guide
- Immediate Access, Practice 24/7
- Secured payment
- Exclusive to JobTestPrep